I finally finished a dresser I had snagged from craigslist! I saw it posted on craigslist and it was the perfect size for my “little” room upstairs that we created! I had been debating for a few months what color to paint it, and got this pretty light light pink sample paint and decided to do a little funkyness with it!
I sprayed the hardware a gold with obviously my favorite metallic gold spray paint! (Rustoleum). Let that dry.
I then used a very very very light pink to paint the dresser sides and drawers (not painting the trim of the drawers though). Three coats about! (the wood was dark) I am not a pink person but this is so light it’s very “soft”. Which I obviously love. I’d say it goes in the department of shabby chic ;).
SO let me tell you. I bought a brilliant sample of a metallic gold by martha stewart (sold at home depot) before Xmas…and I still have a lot left. It’s amazing! I painted an entire chair with it and still have half left! Those sample paints go a long way and are very cheap! Love it! I used the metallic gold paint to paint the trim of the drawers and the trim on the top of the dresser. I had to do two coats of it to make it nice and metallicy! (using a bristle brush..I don’t like sponge brushes I think they leave more streaks and it’s hard to get into the corners, but that’s a total preference thang’).
Then I decided I wanted to do a design on top. I wasn’t in the mood to stencil. I loved how my fabric table came out, so I wanted to try something like that on top! I had some leftover fabric from my DIY roman shades in the kitchen (stay tuned for a post on that). I grabbed the fabric and some polyurethane. Refer to the fabric table tutorial on step by step instructions. Slapped some of the polyurethane on top, placed the fabric on and ironed it on! After an hour I painted some polyurethane on top to make it “sturdy”. I was NOT crazy about how it looked. It looked….”off”. I brought it upstairs and stared at it a lot.
Then I was in marshalls (obviously) and stumbled upon some kickass wrapping paper!!! (obsessed with coral right now). It had metallic gold coral pieces on it, which made me decide right then and there to rip off the chevron fabric and mod podge the wrapping paper onto the top!
Love LOVE it now. I painted mod podge on the top and placed the wrapping paper onto it. It came out wrinkly at first so I used a straight edge that you use to smooth wallpaper down …ended up ripping it a little (because the mod podge is glue and makes the wrapping paper very thin while wet) and having to fix it. SO I left it alone being a little wrinkly. Checked it out the next day and once the wrapping paper dried to the mod podge it was not nearly as wrinkly and looked “vintagey”. I mod podged the top to make it “sturdy” and voila! LOVE it!
Hope you enjoyed!