For those of you in Jerz, hope you enjoyed this beautiful weekend! I have been getting so many projects done outside with this gorgeous weather that’s finally here! (I hope it stays)! This is what my weekend consisted of:
Top soil, top soil, and more top soil. We are trying to grow grass!! I am so nervous about it not working I have been obsessing over it all weekend! But with the rain coming this week (yay to helping me water it!!) I think it’ll work! Late last fall we ripped ALL the ivy out of the half of the front lawn it consumed and all the huge awful ugly bushes from the landscape. So now we have all dirt and a 1/3 of grass. I feel like we have been that ghetto house on the beautiful block, and hopefully soon we’ll be outshining all the others 😉 ha ha. Just Kididng. So with that and painting our house (I’m telling you, I don’t stop!) I have gotten a few projects done. I have finished a few pieces of furniture these past two weeks, but haven’t gotten the chance to blog about them, so I’m excited to share this piece with you!
Now that we are moved upstairs (!!!!!) Ed is going to have his very own office. I have big plans for it but I am not in the mood to paint, I want to get the outdoors ready for summer, so the painting will be on hold. Ed works from home and has to study a lot so he wanted a very spacious desk. I am into the “rustic shabby chic barn look” so I decided to try making him a desk. I love how it turned out and so does he!
I then put 3 coats of my favorite stain on them with an old rag. Remember after each coat of stain wait 5 minutes then wipe the excess off with a clean clothe and re stain. If you want it darker you just keep applying coats. After the stain was dry (24 hours) I applied polyurethane to make the top nice and shiny and sturdy for work to be done on it! I love how this polyurethane came out-it added just the right amount of shinyness! I applied it with a bristle brush and only put one coat on. Then I let it dry-only about 2 hours and then I attached all the pieces of wood together. I played around with arranging them to prevent the least amount of gap between each piece. But it is wood, so it is a little warped and definitely not perfect so they won’t sit perfectly snug next to each other, but I like this. It adds to the rustic charm of the desk! I used some old pallets I had to attach the wood. Flip the wood upside down and nail or screw in the pallets upside down, but making sure the screws/nails aren’t too long where they’ll go through all the wood and show on the top!
I had an old filing cabinet that I wanted to use on one side of the desk for the “legs”. I would have loved to just put 4 legs, but that’d mean hubby’s papers are all over the place, and that just wouldn’t work with my OCD. We had a two drawer old black filing cabinet that I figured would be perfect to also organize all those papers that are scattered everywhere. I took off the hardware-sprayed that gold. I then sprayed the whole cabinet with white spray paint. It needed about 3 coats.
Ed’s 6ft 3in tall so the filing cabinet wouldn’t add enough height for his long legs to be under and plus he wants to use his ugly old computer chair (which I will be refinishing, stay tuned!), so that’ll add more height to him as well. So I had to get creative. I measured the height of how tall he wanted the table to be and compared that to the height of the filing cabinet. The amount I needed extra for the cabinet, I went to lowes and checked out their legs. They sell all sizes. I bought 4 little ones to put on the bottom of the filing cabinet to make it the correct height. I also bought two legs in the correct height for the other side. Sprayed them all white.How I attached the mini legs to the file cabinet was that I put holes in the bottom using a brad point bit (you can use a general purpose bit but I attempted with this and ours are all faded so I switched to the brad point because it’s super pointy/sharp). The holes were just the right size so that the screws that come in the mini legs went right into the holes and sat snug! It’s not 100% secure but we aren’t going to be moving the desk once it’s all set up!
Next I had to add the longer legs to the other side. These did not come with screws to easily add them to the table. So I had to figure out how I was going to attach them to the table and make sure that they aren’t wobbly!!! I first attempted to screw them in at an angle. They were very wobbly. So then after asking Ed what he thought, we came up with using L brackets that we happened to have extra of. We screwed those in and it helped secure them more to the desk so that they weren’t wobbly.(sorry for blurry pic).