It has been AWHILE! I missed my DIY/Blog World!!! Hope everyone’s been great! Things have been a bit chaotic over here….I had a very eventful pregnancy (hence no postings or DIY projects really) and then we had our beautiful blessing of a baby boy in August! Sawyer Wyatt :). We are happily, tiredly, in a fog happy! Mommyhood is intense…but I am loving it! I am also most importantly loving that he’s starting to take some longer naps so maybe I can get back into some furniture renovations!
One project I did tackle while I was pregnant was redoing my headboard. I HATED the one I originally did. The color was all wrong and the border was awful. I had my eye on one that I wanted to try to replicate.
I first removed everything from the old headboard except the padding. I added some extra padding I still had to the side to make it wider because we upgraded to a King bed!
Next I grabbed some 2×1 wood. I actually didn’t stain the wood because I was pregnant and didn’t feel comfortable using stain …so I painted it brown! And then using a drybrush technique…I dipped a brush in white paint real lightly and then wiped the excess paint off so that basically all the paint was off but when you brushed it against the wood some light paint would transfer on. Hope that makes sense. I then also immediately wiped the wood down with a rag to smooth it in.
I used my miter saw to cut 45* angles to make the corners.
I used my staple gun to put up new fabric (which were old Ikea curtains..score!). I redid the buttons with the excess fabric for the tufting. (don’t mind the messy room..I was pregnant and tired ALL. THE. TIME.)
I used my nailgun this time to nail in the wood trim!
And voila’ beautiful new headboard!